Saturday, September 14, 2013

Data Preparation and Amino Acids

Yesterday (September 13th), I went over to RPI for more work in the lab. I got to see the gel I prepared last week! Unfortunately, the gel turned out useless because it had too many metal ions which caused there to be what was basically an extended row of dye instead of separated bars. The gel was still helpful, though, because now we will not attempt any more gels with those types of solutions!

My first job for the day was to compile some of the data from our previous Claudin-5 microarrays. For each of our past experiments, we have pixel intensity data for the resulting microarrays. At this point, we want to compile all of the past data to be able to look at it as a whole. On JP's computer, each past experiment has it's own folder, so I copied an .mev converter file into each folder. After doing so, I opened the .mev converter file and all of the .mev files for a certain experiment, and I moved all of the data into the converter file. After doing so for every experiment, the .mev converters were ready to run, and they will be run by next week!

My second job was to prepare tubes to make amino acid solutions. I labeled each tube:
Three-letter code (one-letter code)
Mg amino acid to be added
mL solution to be added


After doing this for all 20 amino acids, I then began to add the specified amount of each amino acid to its specified tube.

I can't wait to continue my research next Friday!!

1 comment:

  1. Gels can be picky! I hope you have better success next time.

    Please include a comment about the larger aspect of your project and how your blog post fits into the grander scheme. That is, describe how your daily post relates to the larger scale of your work.

    Otherwise, keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete