Saturday, February 1, 2014

First Step: Blocking Buffer Solutions

On Friday (January 31st), I worked on the first steps of my new blocking buffer project! Because I did not specifically explain the purpose of a blocking buffer in my previous posts, blocking buffers are used to prevent nonspecific binding, reduce background signal, and stabilize proteins for better interactions. These effects are demonstrated in the following image.

Image from http://www.immunochemistry.com/products/elisa-solutions-1/blocking-buffers.html

Today I took my first step in my project by making my blocking buffer solutions! We decided to make 5 mL of each BSA solution (5%, 2.5%, 1%, 0.2%) and 10 mL of each Casein solution (1x and 1/2x). First, I had to do the calculations to determine the amounts of the buffers and the amounts of PBS that I would need for the dilutions. First, I would make the highest concentration solution and dilute from that. Below are my calculations.


Once the calculations were confirmed, I completed the dilutions. I have now officially started my own project! I can't wait to carry out this experiment!

2 comments:

  1. Love the lab notebook! Nothing says "science" and "progress" like a page from a lab book. Keep up those great shots of data.

    Thanks for the references to you project. I appreciate your focus on the longterm aspects of your work.

    You are in an excellent position to work through the spring semester. I eagerly await the next RPI internship installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for defining the term blocker. I also appreciate the illustration. It helps visual folks get a clearer understanding. Have you thought about including visuals when you present your project?

    ReplyDelete