Friday, December 13, 2013

Prepping for Peptide Synthesis

Today, (December 13th), I went to RPI for my final research day of the first semester! Today I worked on prepping for another peptide synthesis. We are working to attach a peptide to a new linker that attaches to a resin bead. The concept is similar to another idea that I introduced in a previous post. These beads will eventually be packed into a column and used to purify biologics with the binding of the peptides on the beads.

My first job was to make 25 mL of 0.1 M NaOH from 2 M NaOH. Using the formula (M1)(V1)=(M2)(V2), I found that I would need to add 1.25 mL of 2 M NaOH and fill the rest of the volume with PBS. To carry out the dilution, I used a volumetric flask.


Next, I made 50 mL of 20% ethanol solution. To do this, I added 10 mL of ethanol to 40 mL of distilled water. After I mixed this solution, I then added 150 microliters to each of 20 wells in a well plate. After waiting for half an hour for the ethanol solution to evaporate, I added 150 more microliters to each well.


I can't believe that the first semester of my senior year is already over! I can't wait to see what's in store for me starting in January.


1 comment:

  1. Kailin, great reference to a previous post, and wonderful inclusion of pictures. I like how you emphasized the important part of the images.

    Time flies, indeed, so make the most of your next few months. I hate to write this, May will be upon us in no time at all. I know that you will do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete