Thursday, November 8, 2012

First Meeting!

11.6.12

This Tuesday (November 6th), I had my first visit to RPI to meet my mentor, Dr. K. The building I will be working in is a restricted-access building, so Dr. K met me at the door to let me in. After introductions and discussion about my interest in both chemistry and biology, he paired me with a graduate student named JP, who I will be working with in the lab. JP's research focuses on the biochemical interactions of the blood barrier in the brain, and how it inhibits the transport of drugs to the brain. This research will hopefully be applied to drug delivery for the treatment of diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and brain cancer. This research aligns with my interests perfectly, and I can't wait to get involved!! I was not able to see the lab because I have to go through a bio safety course first, but Dr. K told me the main machinery that is used is a protein synthesizer, which does the work of human cells to create proteins. Next week I plan to take the bio safety course and receive a pass card that will allow me to access the building and the labs. I can't wait to start working and see this research in action!

1 comment:

  1. Kailin, you seem excited and engaged in your internship already! In addition, you demonstrate a good understanding of your mentor's research, even though it is quite technical! Keep up your interest and energy!

    ReplyDelete